FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Starcraft II General Discussion

Official SC2 thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
hassan-i-sabbah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pETcAm82vXU&playnext_from=TL&videos=uDSGk8uNVdQ&feature=sub

this stalker micro made me lol

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:02 am 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
Originally posted by Allstar
thanks for the brilliant response question is what units are direct counter to hydras? if any?

Ravens, siege tanks, marines. Ravens missile is amazing because they either move or get decimated... which lets your marines close in while he tries to move his hydras. Plus raven turrets are good up in front of tanks/marines.

Make helions as well for raiding zerg expansions. Their upgrade insta-mashes drones at an expansion.

Post Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:25 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Kith-Kanin

quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pETcAm82vXU&playnext_from=TL&videos=uDSGk8uNVdQ&feature=sub

That was excellent. Wonder if that guy was a war3 player.

Post Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:28 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
foonat

that was pretty cool haha

Post Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:50 am 
turtleman@can

man sometimes when I'm watching replays I wish the commentators would just stfu, but it's easier to watch something by loading up youtube than logging into sc2 and downloading/loading the replay

there's all these guys that are trying to be the charles barkley of sc2 and then when a fight breaks out they start screaming like a mexican soccer announcer. meanwhile they just fill the silence with meaningless bullshit. I don't mind listening to some of the announcers like day9 or tasteless from bw because they actually know what they're talking about and have actual personalities , but most of these people on youtube sound like they're trying to do voiceover work for a japanese cartoon without knowing japanese.

Post Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:10 pm 
WarMaN_WH

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman@can
man sometimes when I'm watching replays I wish the commentators would just stfu, but it's easier to watch something by loading up youtube than logging into sc2 and downloading/loading the replay

there's all these guys that are trying to be the charles barkley of sc2 and then when a fight breaks out they start screaming like a mexican soccer announcer. meanwhile they just fill the silence with meaningless bullshit. I don't mind listening to some of the announcers like day9 or tasteless from bw because they actually know what they're talking about and have actual personalities , but most of these people on youtube sound like they're trying to do voiceover work for a japanese cartoon without knowing japanese.

lol i saw some replays of sc1 with korean commentators and its insane how crazy they get when they see a probe running around trying to stay a live.

Post Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:39 pm 
Sypher

quote:

I played that drunkbobby guy in AT. His stalkers are so annoying ~_~. His teammate is zerg so zerg puts overlord off your ledge and drunkbobby will just blink around your base np.

Post Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:17 pm 
$hazm

I remember before I settled on terrain i experimented with stalker blink like that, but I was a fumbling idiot compared to his micro of them. It reminds me of using night elf archers with inviz in war3.

Post Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:25 pm 
Shotgun_

Wow thats amazing that stalker micro, he must have such good accuracy to do that shit, and like 0 lag.

Post Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:51 pm 
Kyr.Luoson

Might try blink out some more after watching that

Post Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:46 pm 
turtleman@can

yeah if you're going to mass stalkers then blink seems like a pretty mandatory upgrade, considering it's basically a get out of jail free card even if you can't micro like that guy but I think if you target the unit being attacked as soon as you see him being attacked, and then blink him from that moment, you'll probably pull it off just before he dies like that guy did. I think a mistake a lot of people make is they wait a second for his health to lower but then by the time they blink him hes already dead.

Post Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:07 pm 
Kith-Kanin

I need some really good youtube replays. If anyone finds any post them up on here. They have to be youtube though, because I don't have sc2 installed at the work computers lol.

Post Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:34 am 
kublikhan

We need some dragon age style AI tweaks for starcraft 2.

If <stalker> <shields> <Collapse> <blink>.
If <Grouped Bio> <Cast> <PsiStorm>.

Here's some replays:
Replays

edit: fixed link

Post Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:41 am 
~Dakine..HeX

are there any sc2 podcasts being made anywhere? i'd be interested in listening in the car when im sitting in traffic

Post Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:30 am 
WarMaN_WH

quote:
Originally posted by ~Dakine..HeX
are there any sc2 podcasts being made anywhere? i'd be interested in listening in the car when im sitting in traffic

Nerd

Post Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:32 pm 
Sypher

quote:
Originally posted by ~Dakine..HeX

There is the Team liquid beta cast hosted by Day9.

Day9 is tasteless' brother. Very competent player, and releases a podcast every week.

http://www.teamliquid.net/sc2/ <-- usually latest can be foudn there.

Newest one im pretty sure is #4: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=118437

He also has an awesome livestream channel.

Post Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:37 pm 
BanMe

Personally I'm kind of bored now, don't really have much drive to play. I know what I have to do every game, I know it'll just be a match of skill or build order, and it will be kind of fun but also kind of whatever. I think a big part of it is the "impersonal" ness of it, the lack of chat or community - and team player isn't an answer because team play doesn't really feel that interesting (at least compared to war2). I think the same-ness has hit me and it no longer intrigues me because the gameplay now already feels like old hat. ::shrug::

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:02 am 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
Originally posted by BanMe
Personally I'm kind of bored now, don't really have much drive to play. I know what I have to do every game, I know it'll just be a match of skill or build order, and it will be kind of fun but also kind of whatever. I think a big part of it is the "impersonal" ness of it, the lack of chat or community - and team player isn't an answer because team play doesn't really feel that interesting (at least compared to war2). I think the same-ness has hit me and it no longer intrigues me because the gameplay now already feels like old hat. ::shrug::

I started playing random for this reason.

Makes it somewhat more interesting anyways.

For me, I feel they made it so similar to SC1 that it just won't have the staying power (for me). I mean the only new mechanics are the cliff walking, and a few other spells (force field, phoenix lift etc). The units feel much the same. The build orders are pretty much the same. Even the cheese strats are very similar. I never had any delusions of playing it for anything other than pure fun though, so when it gets old I'll stop. Right now, I still enjoy playing random.

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:41 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

i think its good they kept it like BW. BW is pretty much the perfect RTS game, no reason to fuck with perfection

and i like playing with people i know more too, really makes it more fun and interesting. no war2 people are ever on at the same time though :\ hopefully this will get better in the retail (and they'll have fucking public chat channels)

quote:
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Last edited by hassan-i-sabbah on Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:54 am 
Rat

starcraft lacks good 2v2 maps. create something like friends but for starcraft and it might be interesting.

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:54 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by Rat
starcraft lacks good 2v2 maps. create something like friends but for starcraft and it might be interesting.

twilight fortress is like friends and its horrible

maps like friends suck, they either turn into boring cookbook shit or BGH 200 food carrier shit

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:56 am 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rat

maps like friends suck, they either turn into boring cookbook shit or BGH 200 food carrier shit

twilight fortress is so zerg friendly it's retarded. I hate that map with a passion and it should be removed or it should have it's diagonal length shortened big time.

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:06 am 
Kyr.Luoson

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rat

It's horrible because of the double expos

The map would be good if the enterance was bigger and there was no free expo for both players to wall off and expand

Also they need more 2's maps, the ones they have are shit expect for lost temple

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:08 am 
TheSituation

are they going to have chat channels on the release?

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:17 am 
BanMe

After sitting on it a little longer and talking about it it's also a couple other key things.

Small learning curve - Because the UI is so simple and I can do everything so easily, all there is for me to do is determine my strategy. It's almost like a turn based game in this regard. Conversely, I played some war2 last night and remembered what its like to actually not have time to do every move you want to, same thing in BW. In this regard, SC2 kind of misses the point. Not being able to do everything you need and having to make decisions of what to do with your apm was a huge part of core gameplay. It kept the game interesting every time because the different situations that presented themselves and decisions you had to make about your overall strategy as well as what to do with your apm were so different every game. With those decisions greatly lessened with the simplified UI, it's much more easy to see the limited scope of the game and the room for improvement and diversity in games is exponentially smaller.

Grouped unit "balls" - Kind of on a related note to the "ease" of the ui, the grouped units severely limits the gameplay / army control aspect of the game. In BW, smaller groups of units could be more effective, largely because massing too many would be clunky and you could bottleneck easier and take advantage of micro easier by using the large hit boxes. Honestly imagine if war2 or SC1 had units with a hitbox of 10% of what they are, grunts standing on top of eachother attacking - it would have fucking sucked. The movement of units has been absolutely streamlined and it makes it way more about the one big army like in war3 than smaller armies in SC/ war2. This may seem like something you have to "get used to", but it's a core element of the gameplay. It's the type of thing you notice at first and it feels weird, and it just only feels worse as time goes on.

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:58 pm 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
Originally posted by BanMe
After sitting on it a little longer and talking about it it's also a couple other key things.

Small learning curve - Because the UI is so simple and I can do everything so easily, all there is for me to do is determine my strategy. It's almost like a turn based game in this regard. Conversely, I played some war2 last night and remembered what its like to actually not have time to do every move you want to, same thing in BW. In this regard, SC2 kind of misses the point. Not being able to do everything you need and having to make decisions of what to do with your apm was a huge part of core gameplay. It kept the game interesting every time because the different situations that presented themselves and decisions you had to make about your overall strategy as well as what to do with your apm were so different every game. With those decisions greatly lessened with the simplified UI, it's much more easy to see the limited scope of the game and the room for improvement and diversity in games is exponentially smaller.

Grouped unit "balls" - Kind of on a related note to the "ease" of the ui, the grouped units severely limits the gameplay / army control aspect of the game. In BW, smaller groups of units could be more effective, largely because massing too many would be clunky and you could bottleneck easier and take advantage of micro easier by using the large hit boxes. Honestly imagine if war2 or SC1 had units with a hitbox of 10% of what they are, grunts standing on top of eachother attacking - it would have fucking sucked. The movement of units has been absolutely streamlined and it makes it way more about the one big army like in war3 than smaller armies in SC/ war2. This may seem like something you have to "get used to", but it's a core element of the gameplay. It's the type of thing you notice at first and it feels weird, and it just only feels worse as time goes on.

Maybe. I mean, even in those massive balls of units people with 250+ apm will find it pretty easy to micro units as they did in BW/War3. I think a lot has to do with the counter mentality that blizzard has in this game. I mean, in war2, you could make grunts for an entire game--beating on lusted ogres--and still win.

In SC2, you can do the same to some extent but it's almost TOO effective. Like a marine ball lasts all game. Same as zerglings and lots.

I find SC2 fun, but it won't have any staying power for me. Same as what happened in SC1/BW.

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:19 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

i like the interface improvements because it makes the game more about strategy and tactics than twitch reflexes

and twitch reflexes are still a big part of the game. its just now i don't have to worry about wasting time on telling my workers to mine manually and clicking on 10 different gateways in turn to build stuff

quote:

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:43 pm 
KingHillBilly

quote:
i like the interface improvements because it makes the game more about strategy and tactics than twitch reflexes

and twitch reflexes are still a big part of the game. its just now i don't have to worry about wasting time on telling my workers to mine manually and clicking on 10 different gateways in turn to build stuff

Double edged sword. This has the side effect of making the game less interesting for the very good player, but also makes the game more fun for average players.

This will most likely cause a high turnover rate on the game as people will bore quickly (relative to BW or War2).

Hopefully the community will make some awesome custom mods.

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
turtleman@can

isn't there going to be an 'even faster' or 'fastest' speed setting on release.
'faster' doesn't seem like a term used to describe the fastest game setting. And I think a notch up on the speed would pretty much change the entire face of the game. The only thing I can't see with this happening is that the units already attack pretty quickly. It's the moving around that I think is slow.

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:55 pm 
BanMe

I started playing again and won like 13 games in a row ... I guess there's some interesting stuff u can do with stalkers ;0

Post Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:43 pm